CSV Separator Defaults in Pepper Flow
All CSV (Comma Separated Values) files exported from Pepper Flow will default to the North American standard settings for separators, a comma. In some regions (Europe, for example) CSV files downloaded from Pepper Flow will not open correctly and the data within will be displayed incorrectly.
This is due to regional computer settings that have default list separator options where files will either be read with a comma separator or semicolon separator. In Europe, the default is for the semicolon to be a delimiter instead of a comma.
The guides below walk through the process of adjusting your computer settings so that you can successfully view Pepper Flow's CSV files on either Windows and Mac OS.
Changing CSV Defaults on Windows
To change the CSV separator default for Windows:
- Open the Windows Start Menu and click Control Panel
- Open the Regional and Language Options dialog box
- Click the Regional Options tab
- Click Customize/Additional settings (Windows 10)
- Type a comma into the 'List separator' box ( , )
- Click 'OK' twice to confirm the change
Changing CSV Defaults on Mac
To change the CSV separator defaults for Macs:
- Navigate to your System Preferences and select the Language & Region option.
- Click the Advanced button in the bottom-right corner.
- In the Number separators options, change the decimal setting from a comma ( , ) to a period ( . )
- Click OK in the bottom right corner
Note: After you change the list separator character for your Mac or PC, all programs will use the new character as a list separator. You can change the character back to the default character by following the same procedures listed above.