Compare versions of a document to see highlighted text differences. Additions are highlighted in green, and deletions are highlighted in red.
- How to compare versions
- Version compare tool overview
- Supported file types
- Troubleshooting and limitations
How to compare versions
- Open a document in the Viewer. The document should have an uploaded file and more than one version.
- In the bottom left, select “Compare versions.”
- In the modal, select which version you would like to compare.
- Select “Compare.”
The versions you selected will open in the version compare tool, with the more recent version on the right side.
Version compare tool overview
Versions and change list
Supported file types
You can only compare documents that have selectable text. This includes:
- Adobe Illustrator (.ai)
- Microsoft Excel (.xlsx)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt, .pptx)
- Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
- Portable Document Format (.pdf)
While Pepper Flow supports the upload of files up to 5GB and has no page limit, this feature has a max file size of 100MB per file and a max page limit of 400 pages.
The tool only compares differences in text. It does not compare images within the files.
Troubleshooting and limitations
Why can’t I compare a document?
Here are some common reasons you may not be able to compare a document:
- You have not uploaded a file yet. The “Compare versions” button only appears after you have uploaded a file.
- The file you uploaded is not a supported file type.
- The document only has one version (v1.0). The “Compare versions” button only appears after you have multiple versions of a document.
Why was something highlighted as a difference?
The version compare tool does its best to map text from one version to another and detect what changed. However, you may see some things highlighted incorrectly as differences in the following scenarios:
- When you have documents with three or more columns or unusual layouts, some text may not be mapped correctly and will instead be marked as removed/re-added. Documents with tables may see similar false positives.
- In a multi-column document, if text moved from the bottom of one column to the top of another, sometimes it’s marked as text that was removed/re-added.
Why was something not highlighted as a difference?
One reason why something may not have been highlighted is because the text difference appears within an image, not as selectable text. Currently, the version compare tool does not compare images.
Large file sizes
The version compare tool works best with smaller file sizes. If you compare large files, you may see the following behavior:
- The comparison may need a few minutes to load. In particular, after the interface has loaded, the files and their differences may need additional time to load.
- The scrolling behavior may be slower than usual.
Related help topics