Import annotations from the previous major or minor version to save time while preparing a document for review.
- Automatically import annotations
- Manually import annotations
- Undo import annotations
Automatically import annotations
When starting a new circulation or a new major version of a document, Pepper Flow will automatically prompt you to import any unresolved annotations from the prior version. This feature is available on version R25 and later.
The import event will appear in the audit trail, and all imported annotations will indicate the version they were imported from. If you choose “Decline,” no annotations will be imported.
Manually import annotations
If you choose Decline, you can choose to import annotations from the prior version at a later date from the Viewer side panel.
- In the side panel, click “Add annotations.”
- In the dropdown, select “Import annotations.”
- Click “Confirm import.”
Undo import annotations
If you import annotations, then change your mind, you can undo the import.
- In the side panel, click “Add annotations”.
- Select “Undo annotation import.”
See it in action:
Retained Annotations on an Updated File
When updating a document's file, annotations from the prior file are retained by default. Retained annotations are placed at the same x,y coordinates as the prior file; thus, if the document layout or page sequences have changed, the annotations may need to be moved for accurate placement.
How Pepper Flow places annotations
- We use two things to determine where to place an annotation:
- In some cases, we may not know where to place an annotation. For example, if version 1.0 of a document had 8 pages, but version 1.1 only has 7, we’re not able to place annotations that were previously on page 8. In these cases, we convert those annotations to general annotations.
- If the import places annotations in the wrong location due to new edits in the document, use the move annotation option to place annotations in the correct location. Use the same option to place a general annotation on the document.
- You can import annotations for videos, too. However, if the video file changes, all annotations will be converted to general annotations upon import. Move annotations to add them back to the video.
- Before importing annotations, resolve annotations that you do not want to import to the new version. Resolved annotations are not imported.
- *IMPORTANT* You can only import annotations from the most recent job on the immediate previous version of a document.
- You must be an initiator, content owner, collaborator, or coordinator to import annotations.
Related help topics