Smart Reference is a time-saving tool that will suggest reference points on promotional documents based on previous usage. When selecting Smart Reference, Pepper Flow will compare the text in your new document with all previously linked reference claims and identify similar phrases. If any matches are found, Pepper Flow will suggest a new reference point that you can choose to accept or decline.
How it works
Use the highlight tool to select the text in your promotional document that you want to link to a supporting document. The text that is highlighted on the promotional document is what Pepper Flow will try to match when using the Smart Reference feature on future documents. Using our algorithm, if any matches are found between the highlighted text on previous promotional documents and the text on your new promotional document, Flow will highlight the matching text in the new document and suggest a supporting document to associate with that text. The suggestions can come from promotional documents, supporting documents, references, or individual reference points.
Running Smart Reference
- Click the Supporting Documents tab and select Smart Reference. Pepper Flow will compare the text in your new document with all previously linked reference claims and identify similar phrases.
- A dialog box will display stating “We found XX reference suggestions.” Click the View suggestions button.
- Review each suggested reference or reference point and select one of the following options:
a) Reject. The annotation will not be added to the document.
b) Accept. Pepper Flow will automatically add the selected annotation to the document.
- Continue to accept or reject individual reference suggestions. Alternatively, you can select Accept all or I’m done at the bottom of the viewer.
Why didn’t Smart Reference have any suggested references?
When running Smart Reference, you may not get any results.
There are a few reasons this could have occurred:
- The highlight tool hasn’t been used to link text in promotional document to supporting documents. The Smart Reference tool will only provide suggestions based on previous linked references that were created using the highlight tool.
- The Smart Reference tool didn’t find any matches. The algorithm used to determine suggested references takes many things into account, including the number of times a reference has been used, the number of words highlighted, and the order that the words display in.
- File type. Flow will only suggest references for text that it can identify. If text is embedded in an image or graphic, Flow will not identify that as text and will not provide suggested references.
Related help topics: